Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The celluloid off the backs of playing cards and then tamping the stuff into a length of pipe that you could drill a hole in your own skull and then plug it with a candle thereby turning yourself.

Dismally. Jock felt very ashamed of him. 'Shut up ' said a burly policeman. 'We know you're only the miserable little cat's-paw - taking money from the big men to hold your tongue and obey orders. ' Timmy. cheap nexium Did it through his lawyers unknown to my mother; said it beat life insurance and that if I had the backbone to go and get it I could drink my back teeth awash until I died. Millions in the hands of my guardians slathers of shekels of my mother's that'll be mine if she beats me to the crematory another million waiting to be dug up and in the meantime I'm cadging on Lavina for two drinks a day. It's hell isn't it?--when you consider my thirst. " "Where's the island?" "It's a long way from here. " "Name it. " "Not on your life Captain Grief. You're making an easy half-million out of this. You will sail under my directions and when we're well to sea and on our way I'll tell you and not before. " Grief shrugged his shoulders dismissing the subject. "When I've given you another drink I'll send the boat ashore with you " he said. Pankburn was taken aback. For at least five minutes he debated with himself then licked his lips and surrendered. "If you promise to go I'll tell you now. " "Of course I'm willing to go. That's why I asked you. Name the island. " Pankburn looked at the bottle. "I'll take that drink now Captain. " "No you won't. That drink was for you if you went ashore. If you are going to tell me the island you must do it in your sober senses. " "Francis Island if you will have it. Bougainville named it Barbour Island. " "Off there all by its lonely in the Little Coral Sea " Grief said. "I know it. Lies between New Ireland and New Guinea. A rotten hole now though it was all right when the _Flirt_ drove in the spikes and the Chink pearler traded for them. The steamship _Castor_ recruiting labour for the Upolu plantations was cut off there with all hands two years ago. I knew her captain well. The Germans sent a cruiser shelled the bush burned half a dozen villages killed a couple of niggers and a lot of pigs and--and that was all. The niggers always were bad there but they turned really bad forty years ago. That was when they cut off a whaler. Let me see? What was her name?" He stepped to the bookshelf drew out the bulky "South Pacific Directory " and ran through its pages. "Yes. Here it is. Francis or Barbour " he skimmed. "Natives warlike and treacherous--Melanesian--cannibals. Whaleship _Western_ cut off--that was her name. Shoals--points--anchorages--ah Redscar Owen Bay Likikili Bay that's more like it; deep indentation mangrove swamps good holding in nine fathoms when white scar in bluff bears west-southwest. " Grief looked up. "That's your beach Pankburn I'll swear. " "Will you go?" the other demanded eagerly. Grief nodded. "It sounds good to me. Now if the.

No comments:

Post a Comment